Tuesday 1 January 2013

Tartan rocks...






 I am a huge fan of Vivenne Westwood, not just the clothes (even though I cannot afford any of her beautiful items) but for her life. She is an absolute legend in the world of fashion , she is the pioneer of the Punk movement and I wanted to create something as an Ode to Vivenne Westwood.

I actually used an old pair or pajama bottoms and cut some of the leg off so I had enough material to work with, the studs I got off ebay for about £2 for 50 studs and I used ribbon that I already had stored away.

I went on Google and typed in "How to make a collar" and there are so many websites to choose from that give you a step by step how to guide. If I had a sewing machine it would have taken less time but I did it all by hand. You could probably make 10 with a sewing machine in the time it took me to stitch just one.

But for a first time I thought it turned out very well and I wore it out and got some lovely compliments. It just shows when you put your mind to something you can do anything, so I have my tartan collar without having to pay a shed load for it.

Vivenne Westwood was known for taking rags and second hand material and making it fashionable, maybe we can all try and rejuvinate something in our wardrobes.












2 comments:

  1. I adore Vivienne Westwoods endearing eccentricity and use of Bristish harris tweed and tartan, one of the best British designers for her role in the punk movement alone.
    Love this inspired collar, have you thought about selling on etsy?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, lovely of you to say.

      I haven't actually, hopefully when i do get my sewing machine maybe I can do a few samples and see how I get on.

      x

      Delete